Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Memory

A memoir is a story that tells an account of a specific memory. Memory is a strange thing. There are days when I cant remember what I had for breakfast, but can remember everything that people in my classes were wearing. Why I remember pointless things like that, I don't know. Overall though, most people normally remember things that affect them when they were younger. For example, I vividly recall a fall from the monkey bars in pre-k. I only remember it because I ripped my upper lip open from the bottom of my nose to the end of my mouth of the right side. I screamed and bled heavily for about 15 minutes before a teacher even looked outside, and the pain makes me remember the accident in detail regardless of how young I was. If I had fallen and just scraped my knee, chances are I would not remember it as well as I do now. However, not all things that people remember are bad. Good memories are also often rememebered in their entirety. I got the game ball in our only win for our football team last season. Despite the length of the game and physical duress I was under at all times, I remember every play as if I had watched it on tape over and over again. Memory for most people goes by how that moment made you feel.

No comments: